Thursday, April 30, 2009

What *are* ramps exactly?


So ramps seem to be a big thing in the local culinary scene here in New York, but until yesterday, I'd never even heard of them.

Turns out they are what I imagine to be a cross between green onions and leeks. Mostly like small leeks from what I understand. See above.

Given that I'm so into trying new things these days, I'm going to have to head on over to the farmer's market in Union Square to find some.

Both the New York Times and The Kitchn posted about them this week. Check out their ideas about how to use them below, and let me know how you would prepare them? I need some additional inspiration on this one...

Suggested Recipes:

Ricotta gnocci with ramp pesto
Morel mushrooms and ramp pizza
Ramp risotto
Sauteed ramps

No comments:

Post a Comment