Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Clean, Chop, and Store Fresh Herbs


I just read a few really great tips on fresh herbs that I have to share. I was cooking with cilantro last night, so this info seemed rather timely and appropriate for me.

The post talks specifically about parsley, but it seems to me that they'd be relevant for cilantro, which we use a lot, as well. Or maybe even basil and other soft, fresh herbs?

After washing and shaking off excess water, pat the herbs dry with paper towels. Set damp paper towels aside to use for storing the herbs.

Another great tip for me, particularly in regard to cilantro, was how to efficiently "shave" the leaves from the stems by using your knife at an angle.

As for storage, use damp paper towels to wrap uncut herbs and store them in a plastic bag refrigerated for 3 to 5 days.

Visit the Real Simple website and watch the video above for more info.


No comments:

Post a Comment