Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sugar Shock


If you're anything like me, you have a serious sweet tooth. But at the same time, I'm quite sensitive to sugar. It's not uncommon to end up with a bit o' sugar shock even from just my iced coffee. Or worse yet, that crash and cranky mood when it wears off.

So I'm actually considering going sugar free again. I did it once, after a friend's recommendation, and although it was difficult, it was also made me feel great. My mood was good, those spikes and crashes in my energy levels were gone, my energy was higher in general, and the best part was the weight loss.

Plus, diabetes runs in my family, so I'm always aware of that potential risk.

Beyond just wanting sugar, I was surprised how often it came up socially that I felt like I needed to explain to people why I wasn't eating sugar, for an office function or a friend's party. I was really surprised that people thought it was weird. It definitely would've been easier just to say I was on a diet.

For now, I'm reducing sugar. Will be thinking about cutting entirely. I'm already a vegetarian, but in a perfect world, I'd cut sugar and even dairy. But I love sugar and dairy...soooo...I try to stay healthy in other ways.

2 comments:

  1. I would have trouble cutting sugar and dairy, too, Heather...I really look forward to my afternoon piece of chocolate and a bit of dessert each evening! It's awesome that you're trying to reduce and maybe cut sugar - good for you!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to stay away from sugar, it is my crack!! Dairy, however, i have no problem with :)

    ReplyDelete