Sunday, January 5, 2014

Working up to 40

2014 is a big year for me as I'll be turning 40 in October, and I am utterly determined not to turn 40 at the weight that I'm at. That means a lot of big changes need to happen. I've made my list and have been working at them. But the weight loss thing I convinced myself would start in the new year. And well, here we are. 

Instead of going into all the usual pep talk, I'll just provide an update on life since my last post a long, long while back. I'm so, so glad that I did not get the job in the last post. Ug, I'd be out in a warehouse type office in a too-small company in a not-so-nice suburb in Orange County. Instead, after a couple of other rounds of interviews with other companies, a few months later I got a fantastic job at a gorgeous university in Los Angeles very near to the ocean. I work in web marketing and get to do a lot of fun mobile projects. The best part is that I have my own office with a nice view too. 

Since i get to tell it like it is here, the people i work with can be really gossipy and catty. I'm learning that universities are very political places, not just mine from what I understand. My boss is the ring leader, and he really should know better. And there's another guy who is such a bully, but I've gotten pretty good at just stopping him short when he's in a super crabby mood and telling him, "Wow, you're cranky today," and that usually shuts him up. One of my 2014 goals is just to rise above all that pettiness. Which I found I've mostly been able to do the last few months. I have bigger things on my radar than to be dragged down by that b.s.

There are a TON of great perks about the job however that make it worth putting up with. Other than that, I can mostly just forget about stuff when I leave at the end of the day which is a pretty big deal. And the vacation time and benefits and retirement plan are all really excellent. We just finished 2 weeks off for the Christmas break. It feels like a million years since i was in the office. LOVE!

Another major plus is that I can get a free MBA, which helps make up for the non-profit salary. A "free" MBA is such a big deal. I already have an MA in Writing and there was a guy in my program who was a staff member, and I remember thinking how smart it was that he had his MA paid for. I will be paying for my undergrad and grad school loans for a very, very long time. 

I won't go into all of the MBA stuff, but based on my last job, I feel like there are some skills that degree offers that I really need to move into more senior management. I also hope it will help propel me into higher paying jobs -- really help me move up in my lot in life. I'm been stuck in middle management for too long, especially when I see the major success my friends have had. I'm really tired of our crappy apartment. I want something better. 

The MBA will also be really helpful for the new tech startup my husband and I started this past summer. It's all full-scale, the real deal. We have a couple of investors and a canned demo. Plus lawyers, a developer, an accountant and more lawyers. Next up, the full prototype. Having a job that I can turn off at the end of a 9-5 day is really helpful when I know I'll be part-time in the MBA program and working on this startup. 

This is where the weight loss comes in. My approach to weight loss this time is very different. It isn't about how I look at all.  I just need the energy and the get up and go from being thinner to meet all the goals i have. I feel so lethargic when I'm heavier. I need to just brush off that sludge and be less burdened. I worked full-time through my first masters program and went to school full-time, so I know I can do it. In general, the busier I am, the more energy (adrenaline!) I have to do even more. 

Another major thing is getting pregnant. We've been struggling with fertility issues with 5+ years now. We started fertility treatments last year, not IVF, but the cheaper stuff like Clomid, etc. Luckily, my doctor isn't a jerk about the weight, but the problem is that i'm not ovulating which can be a direct result of being overweight, so I know i need to lose weight. Plus, if i feel burdened and low energy now, and I'm not pregnant, i really need to prepare my body a bit. 

So lots of stuff on the radar, but I love having a lot going on. Gets me way more ramped up than just being lazy.  I'm committing to posting more often to stay focused on my target goals this year! 

Happy 2014! 


No comments:

Post a Comment