Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My meat substitutes aren't "lean"


As I mentioned in my last post, the eating plan we're doing this week and next allows for fruit, veg and lean proteins. My husband's lean protein is mostly plain chicken, but since I'm a vegetarian, I go the fake meat route. In looking at Weight Watchers "power foods," soy and other vegetarian meat substitutes are allowed as long as they are less than 2g of fat per serving. I must admit I was shocked when I got to Trader Joe's and started looking at the fat grams in my favorite fake meat products! I always just naively assumed they were low fat.

So, out with the Tofurkey italian sausage, the Morning Star Farms pizza mushroom burgers and the fake chicken strips. Instead, I'm having fake beef and chicken strips, Tofurkey turkey lunch slices and soy breakfast sausages. Baked tofu isn't less than 2g of fat, but it's listed separately as a power food, so I'm allowing that too.

It's not a big deal for me to swap one fake meat type for another, but I'm glad to have had this nudge to make smarter choices and not just make assumptions. My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment