Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vitamin D


So my GP is putting together my recommendation letter for the surgery and as a part of that I had a physical and some blood work.

So one of the nurses called me today and told me that in addition to having a Vitamin B12 deficiency (due to a virus I had that caused a lack of intrinsic factor), I now also have a Vitamin D deficiency. (For anyone stumbling upon this, this is pre-surgery).

I certainly eat my fair share of dairy, and I even take a multivitamin, so I'm surprised that I have a problem. I walk outside everyday as a part of my regular commute too. (Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin). Though I could absolutely stand to get more sun.

However, I just looked it up and it turns out that obesity can lead to Vitamin D deficiency. There's a shocker.

Here's the low down from The Vitamin and Supplement Guide I looked up:

Obesity:
Vitamin D deficiency symptoms increase in people who are obese. Since vitamin D is fat-soluble, it can accumulate in body fat, making it less available to other parts of the body.

Vitamin D is essential for healthy bones. The main job of vitamin D is to regulate the body's use of calcium. It helps make the hormones that make sure calcium goes into bone and not into other tissues.

Bottom line: Now I get to take another daily supplement. 800-1000 int'l units of Vitamin D with calcium. I'll also be squeezing in more eggs I guess and some mushrooms. Mmm...a mushroom omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment