Sunday, June 21, 2009

How many calories post-op?


First of all, I'm learning that people refer to the lap-band and other procedures as WLS (weight loss surgery). Despite the various packets of info I've been given and the websites I've been sent to, I didn't have a clear sense of how many calories I'd need to be eating post-op. However, I just found the most fabulous blog post over on melting mama. She posted this info below about recommended calories, protein, fat, etc.

The ASMBS guidelines (which is where many surgeons GET their recommendations for you) state:

  • 1,000 to 1,400 calories depending on the individual and activity level.
  • 60 to 100 grams of protein depending on the individual and activity level.
  • 27 to 47 grams of fat based on 20 to 35 percent of a daily 1,200-calorie intake.
Check out her post for more interesting info and some really insightful comments from others who've also had surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment