Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Life update

Hey everyone. So it's been a while, but I'm still here fighting the good fight. Sometimes (at least when it comes to food).

Lots has changed and lots is the same. The big news is that I lost my job. So I've joined the ranks of the nation's unemployed. After about a year of letting me work long distance, my company changed their mind. They talked about creating a new tech trainer job for me, but the funding didn't come through. And a few of our higher ups asked me to apply for a rep job that opened up in LA. I was on the fence about that but was trying to keep an open mind. They ended up switching things around and getting a rep for a different territory however, so that didn't work out. Now, I've been working on freelance projects for them which is a mixed blessing. It's great in that it pays (and the work is interesting)! But sometimes I feel like I can't really move on if I continue to be connected to this company that laid me off. Plus I find it to be a bit of distraction in terms of the job search. So...I'm just going to go with the flow for now and see what comes my way. Staying open to freelancing as maybe that's what's in the cards if it works out?

Assuming unemployment comes through, all will be okay, but so far I've been rejected by NY state because I live in TX, and TX told me on the phone that it should have been NY that paid me because I had a NY-based employer). So I'm expecting a rejection letter from TX any day now. I feel confident we can make ends meet in whatever ways we have to, but my husband gets stressed out about it, reasonably so. I think I'm just more naturally inclined to look on the bright side. However, it is certainly an added complication since I was the breadwinner. If TX does reject me, I'll have to go back and ask them to review my case again.

So we cut expenses, and I'm really proud that we were able to tighten our belts so much. The student loans all went on hold too which is a really big deal. The biggest thing we did though is move to a MUCH cheaper apt. We are in a more suburban area now. Bye bye beautiful downtown apartment. But this place has its plusses including way more storage and an office (which i LOVE!).

That's the big picture update. Now that I have more time, I'll be sure and provide more updates. Lots going on with weight loss efforts too. But I'll post all of that in other posts!






5 comments:

  1. wow! you have had a lot going on- no wonder you haven't posted for a while- I hope you get back in the habit though, blogging is always what keeps me on track when I start getting overloaded with too many things, and each pulling me in a different direction :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you know about the IBR program for student loans, Income Based Reduction program. You can apply and its based on your income...you might want to check it out. My loan was cut in half, you just need to reapply each year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good to know about the IBR. Those loans are just KILLER. Between my husband and I, triple our rent!

    Thanks to both of you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the jobs falling through, but you didn't seem all that excited about being a rep, anyway. I'm sure it's all for the best. But I am glad to hear you got unemployment! Miss you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nora! I'm okay about the jobs falling through. It'll work itself out. Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete